Whether you’re riding solo, with a partner, or a group, installing a motorcycle intercom will enhance your riding experience. You can make your ride more thrilling and enjoyable if you have a good intercom system.
Are you looking for the best motorcycle intercom system for your bike? You’ve come to the right place. Check out our list of the best motorcycle intercom systems and answers to some of the most frequently asked questions, like:
- Which is the best motorcycle communication system?
- Intercoms for motorcycles: how do they work?
- When riding, how do you communicate?
- How do motorcycle intercom systems differ?
Top Pick: SENA SMH5 UNIV Bluetooth Intercom
- Jog Dial and Ergonomics: The Jog Dial allows users to easily control volume...
- Bluetooth: Sena's headsets come standard with Bluetooth 3.0 technology...
- Universal Intercom(TM): The Universal Intercom(TM) is a unique technology...
- Music Sharing: The music sharing feature provides the ability for two...
Our ultimate pick is the SMH5 UNIV Bluetooth intercom from Sena. The brand is a well-known name in the motorcycle intercom industry, and this compact intercom is a total winner.
The universal pairing feature means you can connect with your friends’ intercoms of any brand.
This feature makes it incredibly versatile. Its compact size fits snugly on the helmet and is great for any biker looking for an efficient motorcycle intercom.
- Bluetooth 3.0 technology enables wireless connection. Make and receive calls, listen to music from an mp3 player, or voice prompts from GPS.
- Share music with your riding partner. Two paired Sena intercoms can share music to and from both devices with some control aspects.
- The Noise Gate and noise suppression feature cancel out background and environmental noise to ensure precise audio and uninterrupted conversation.
- Got friends with another brand of motorcycle intercom? Universal Pairing ensures cross-brand connection. Sena SMH5 ensures that you always stay connected with your riding partner.
- Long-lasting lithium batteries. Listen to music all day.
- Firmware updates to keep you at the top of your game.
Whether it’s size, ergonomics, price, audio quality, or connectivity, Sena SHM5 is a winner from all aspects. It has all the essential features and is perfect for everyday use, and the price is very affordable for the quality.
If you’re one to enjoy music on your long rides, this model offers impressive crystal-clear sound quality and will keep you entertained all day.
Whether you are looking for a rider-to-rider or a rider-to-pillion intercom, Sena SMH5 has all the necessary features to meet your needs.
Whether rain or sunshine, the SMH5 is highly resistant to water and dust and will go a long way with you.
The jog dial makes communication more effortless than ever and safer too. Riding under adverse weather conditions is a problem either.
What is the best motorcycle communication system?
Motorcycle communication systems have soared in popularity and demand as well as technology. From simple Bluetooth devices to the more innovative Mesh Technology, you have an overwhelming choice of motorcycle intercoms.
The best communication system, though, will depend on your needs and budget. For instance, if you plan on solo rides or a partner, you can opt for Bluetooth intercoms. But for group rides, you might want to settle for Mesh Technology.
In this post, you will see a list of our recommendations and the SMH5 tops our list. Sena is a popular brand that has earned the trust of the biking community, and it is affordable, offers clear audio quality and hassle-free communication.
Their products are known for their excellent sound quality, efficient connection over long-range, and durability. They are weather-resistant.
If you are looking for the best intercom system, going through the list of our recommendations will help you make an informed decision. In our reviews, we have listed out all the features in detail. So check them out below.
How do motorcycle intercoms work?
Motorcycle intercoms allow you to have an interactive riding experience with your fellow bikers without stopping. These intercoms are mounted on the helmets and can connect to devices on your friends’ helmets.
In the same way, you pair your electronic devices at home. You can pair your intercoms via Bluetooth. Often, the range of connections will differ according to the brand and model.
Some devices will allow you to connect with up to 15 people. With mesh technology, you can connect with an unlimited number of riders over a distance of up to eight miles.
Most motorcycle intercoms can only pair with devices from the same brands, but those with universal pairing features also have.
To avoid other strangers riding nearby from joining your network, you can set a password and share it with your group. Apart from communication, you can also listen to music and manage calls without stopping your bike.
How do you communicate while riding?
Communicating with your fellow riders has never been more convenient. Motorcycle intercoms or communication devices are helmets with Bluetooth that allow a biker to connect with the helmet of another biker. By pairing via Bluetooth, the bikers can talk with each other or share music.
Using phones while riding can be fatal. In fact, according to statistics, bikers are more likely to face accidents than car drivers by up to four times.
Installing a motorcycle intercom reduces this risk significantly by allowing riders to communicate with their fellow riders while keeping their hands on the handle.
Intercom systems allow riders to make calls with clear sound quality. Most intercoms have noise and echo cancelling features that suppress background sounds like wind or engine sound. Intercom systems have a simple interface, and most devices can be operated even with gloves.
What are the different types of motorcycle Intercom Systems?
There are two types of motorcycle intercom systems- wireless and wired.
Wireless intercom technology uses radio technologies like FRS, GMRS, FM, and Bluetooth. But because GMRS and FRS are public technologies with little privacy and FM has a narrower frequency, these technologies are less popular.
The newest and game-changing technology is Bluetooth. You can connect it with your smartphone or your partner’s device, make private calls, and share music over long distances.
Wired intercoms are less popular because their counterparts provide way more freedom to users, and this type is designed for rider-to-passenger use. Though wired intercoms aren’t as valuable as wireless intercoms, they are much more affordable.
Besides, they do not have interference in communication from external sources like wireless intercoms.
What are the best headphones for a motorcycle helmet?
The best headphones for motorcycle helmets have a massive battery, high volume capacity, and superior sound quality.
It should also have noise and echo cancelling features to cut out external disturbances. Also, they should be compatible with all types of helmets.
Motorcycle intercoms have these features and come with in-built radio. They can be connected to an mp4 player or your smartphone, so you have access to your favourite music and music stations.
What do bikers use to talk to each other?
Being connected and able to share the fun is what makes biking more exciting. It is no fun shouting your lungs out to tell your partner how beautiful the view is.
Again, if you’re riding in a group, stopping every time you have to talk isn’t very practical.
Bikers have a way to communicate with each other while driving without having to shout. And that is possible with motorcycle intercoms. Motorcycle intercom systems are devices that are fitted to the helmets of bikers.
These devices can be paired via FM or, more popularly, Bluetooth, just like other electronic devices.
Depending on the quality and technology of the motorcycle intercom, bikers can talk with the pillion or an unlimited number of bikers.
Long-range Bluetooth kits can help an entire gang converse comfortably, while wired intercoms can enable a rider and pillion to share the same comfort without yelling.
What is the best-sounding Bluetooth motorcycle helmet?
The Sena SMH5, Lexin B4FM, FreedConn, Interpholink, and Fodsports have great-sounding Bluetooth speakers. They come with advanced noise-cancelling technology, which ensures crisp music and unlimited fun.
There is also a wide array of other great-sounding motorcycle speakers out there to choose from.
Before you decide on a speaker, here are a few considerations that might help you make the right decision.
The best helmet speakers must provide a clear and clean-cut sound, be it phone calls or music. It must have a capacity for high volume and cancel background noise. These qualities will ensure that you hear the sound right, loud and clear even if you are riding on a busy and noisy highway.
It should also be weather resistant so that your speaker doesn’t get damaged if you get caught in a downpour. See that it is comfortable to wear and the controls are convenient to operate.
What does it mean when a motorcyclist taps his helmet?
Motorcyclists have a way of communicating with fellow riders to warn each other of any danger. When a motorcyclist taps his helmet, it signals to riders behind him that there are cops ahead or a speed trap.
Tapping the helmet might seem awkward, especially if you are not familiar with hand signals. But it is a functional language that can save bikers from landing into trouble.
If you are riding at high speed, a signal from a fellow biker will warn you that you need to slow down. Now, you might be wondering why this taps on the helmet and not anything else.
Well, police cars have red lights on top and tapping on the helmet means cars with red lights ahead. Bikers are known to communicate with each other more than other drivers.
So, if you are a new rider, learning these signals will help you a ton on the road.
Can I listen to the radio while riding a motorbike?
Listening to music while riding a motorcycle is legal, and so is the radio. While it is not illegal, riders are not encouraged to listen to music or radio at high volume, which may distract the rider.
But that said, you can enjoy listening to the radio at a lower volume, keeping your speed at a safe level, and staying alert.
If you want to listen to the radio while riding, you’ll need to invest in a good speaker. Many motorcycle intercoms have an inbuilt FM radio with presets to save your favourite stations, including those on our list.
Which is better: wired vs. wireless motorcycle intercom?
Wired and wireless motorcycle intercoms are both efficient devices that serve their purposes in different ways.
Wireless motorcycles are without doubt more popular and come with several technological innovations. However, deciding the better tag will come down to your needs.
Wireless motorcycle intercoms work via Bluetooth and can connect several riders, allowing them to converse at ease.
They work at a range of up to 8 miles. Hence, for the adventurous rider who wants to explore places across rugged terrains with his gang, wireless is the way to go.
A wireless motorcycle intercom will enhance group travel by allowing them to communicate comfortably and keep in touch throughout the tour without stopping.
On the other hand, Wired motorcycle intercoms are meant for rider and pillion, and their use is limited to two riders on the same bike.
But its advantage is that the riders can share quality music and conversations without external disturbances, which is not possible with wired intercoms.
Why might I need a motorcycle intercom?
Contrary to what many people think, motorcycle intercoms aren’t just for adding fun to your riding. Depending on your riding habit, they can prove to be an essential gear that will save your day. Here are some reasons why you need to install a motorcycle intercom.
Navigating through an unknown place can be very tricky for motorbike riders. You can’t look at the map; it isn’t just inconvenient but dangerous too. Motorcycle intercoms simplify your tasks of finding a way to a new place or trying a new route.
Motorcycle intercoms double up on your security. If you are out on a group ride, staying connected will ensure that everyone is safe.
You can call for help in case something goes wrong. Given the probability of motorcycle accidents, if you run into one, you can ask your phone to call 911.
Connecting the intercom with your smartphone will help you take and make calls while riding.
Operating your phone while riding a bike can be dangerous, and pulling over every time you need to talk isn’t practical either. Motorcycle intercoms solve this dilemma.
And then, of course, there is music! On those long rides, turning up the music will keep up your mood.
What to consider before buying a motorcycle communication system?
Most riders seek the following features while looking to buy a motorcycle intercom.
- Maximum number and range of connection: Staying in communication with fellow bikers within long range is the goal for the adventurous guys. The latest devices allow connection with a limitless number of riders and private chat for 24 riders.
- HD Speakers: Crisp quality sound with high volume capacity ensures better communication and entertaining music.
- Lasting battery life: You want your device to work all day on long rides.
- Weatherproof and ergonomic design: Your motorcycle intercom should be easy to install, compatible with your helmet, and endure harsh weather.
FreedConn Motorcycle Intercom Helmet Headset
Biking gear can be expensive, an intercom system is no exception. If you want an affordable robust communication system, this product is for you.
The FreedConn is a well-known name, and this model despite the affordable price, has all the essential features one would look for in a motorcycle intercom system.
- Powerful Bluetooth connection between three riders. Make calls with a wireless Bluetooth-enabled headset at a range of up to 10 meters.
- Connect with your smartphone to enjoy hands-free calls, GPS voice prompts, FM Radio, and music.
- One button design enables easy operation.
- Easy to install and fast pairing.
- Excellent audio with noise suppression and echo cancellation.
- Waterproof headset with a long-standing battery up to ten hours of talk time.
- Kit includes one headset, a stereo headphone, USB cable, Clip with fastening screws, four adhesive pads for earphones, and a user manual.
The FreedConn 1BIF002 is a decent product with great features. Connect it with your smartphone, mp4, or GPS for the most pleasant ride.
Riding was never safer at a lower price than this model as it enables you to handle all communications without taking your hands off the bike. Converse with your friends or share your favourite music as you go on long rides or wild adventures.
Lexin B4FM Motorbike Intercom
Lexin B4FM is a fantastic Bluetooth intercom that can connect up to eight riders. It offers excellent features, including universal pairing, high stereo sound, and noise cancellation at an affordable price.
- 2-piece Bluetooth intercom that enables real-time communication with up to eight bikers within a range of 2000 meters. Its universal pairing feature enables you to communicate with your friends with other brands of headsets.
- Share music with your friend converse clearly with superior audio quality and noise cancellation technology.
- Up to fifteen hours of talk time and music streaming and one week of standby time.
- Use a button microphone for full-face helmets or a Boom microphone for convertible helmets.
- Enjoy riding under all weather conditions with waterproof earbuds.
- Use Siri or S Voice commands for hands-free operation. Listen to the radio, GPS voice or stereo music as you ride.
This two-set intercom system is ideal for bikers who want to stay connected and enjoy the ride with a partner or a small group. It is affordable and packs all the valuable features you need in a motorcycle intercom.
Lexin B4FM Motorbike Intercom
- Excellent intercom communication between two riders.
- The lightweight device weighs just 50 grams and compact design measuring 8.7 x 2.2 x 5 cm. It fits snugly into any helmet.
- Operates at a high speed of up to 90 mph.
- Easy to install or pair with your smartphone and GPS.
- The kit includes a Boom microphone, double installation bracket, adhesive pad microphone, micro USB, Velcro pads, and sponge.
Interpholink motorcycle is compatible with all types of helmets and is an excellent choice for all bikers. Interphone store has other great intercom systems, but this one breaks the deal. For the price, this is one of the best ones you can lay your hands on.
FODSPORTS FX6 Motorbike Intercom
Fodsports FX6 is a great motorcycle intercom, checking all the boxes on features to look for.
It’s relatively affordable compared to other headsets and will save you a decent amount for the same features.
You will also find it super friendly with an easy interface. This device will ensure that you have fun without compromising on security.
- Share your riding excitement with 6 riders at a range of 1000 meters. Receive voice commands, operate calls hands-free, and listen to music.
- Universal pairing feature- Communicate with riders with the intercom system of any brand.
- Simple jog wheel design for easy operation even with your gloves.
- Crystal clear sound with advanced noise cancellation technology.
- Suitable for open-face helmets, full-face helmets, and convertible helmets.
- Kit includes a pair of motorcycle intercom, 2 mic speakers, 2 USB Cables, 2 screwdrivers, 2 clips, 4 speaker stickers, 2 microphone speakers, and a user manual.
The FX6 operates at speeds up to 120 km/h and reduces background noise, ensuring clear audio. The battery life is also great, with over ten hours of talk time. If you have to buy a motorcycle without a second thought, this intercom might be a decision you won’t regret.