If you’re looking for the best motorcycle rucksack (or motorcycle backpack) but don’t have time to read reviews, then this article is for you. We’ve taken hours of research and put it into a detailed guide to help you find the perfect rucksack. Plus, we cover:
- The Advantages of a Motorcycle Backpack
- Motorcycle backpacks are they safe?
- Do you need one?
And many more!
You can attach gear to it via straps. Its internal organiser and pockets can hold your laptop and other items separate. One of its most exciting features is the ability to keep hydrated without continuously reaching for a water bottle. Also, the reflective details make it more visible at night.
What we like
The grab handle on the top makes it easier to carry on the go.
The hydration system is a beneficial feature for hands-free drinking and is more convenient as it provides easy access to drinking water.
It has a height-adjustable chest strap for a snug fit.
Why You Should Buy a Dedicated Motorcycle Backpack
There are plenty of reasons why you should buy a dedicated motorcycle backpack. Unlike cars, the motorcycle has a limited storage space, and hence using a rucksack specially designed for motorcyclists becomes essential to hold your belongings.
They’re also quite helpful compared to typical backpacks as they come with several compartments, have a strap for helmet, and are constructed with high-quality materials for durability. Moreover, they’re lightweight, making it easier to carry on your shoulders during long rides.
Here’s why you should buy a dedicated motorcycle backpack:
- Comfortable: A regular rucksack can be uncomfortable, and they’re less breathable, causing you to sweat. But dedicated motorcycle backpacks are designed for comfort while wearing a jacket.
- Ample storage: Space for spare clothes with several compartments to keep your day belongings with ease.
- Durable: Regular bags can wear out quickly on a motorcycle due to exposure to varying weather conditions. Motorcycle backpacks are therefore designed to withstand harsh weather conditions, making them durable and waterproof.
- Equal weight distribution: Riders can either go for the internal or external frame, depending on your type of ride. Internal frame bags fit closer to the rider’s back. On the other hand, external frame bags are mainly used by riders who carry heavy loads.
How do I attach a helmet to my backpack?
A helmet is essential riding gear, but it can be bothersome if your backpack doesn’t have a compartment to store it. Some backpacks feature a compartment to store helmets. However, if your rucksack doesn’t have such a feature, you can use these valuable options:
- Cargo net: One of the most accessible options to attach a helmet to your backpack is using a cargo net. A cargo net comes with multiple hooks and is also easy to use. All you have to do is cover your helmet with a cargo net and secure it tightly at the back of your bag using its hooks.
- Helmet strap: Another option is to hang your helmet to your backpack using a helmet strap. By doing this, you can carry your helmet securely.
- Carabiner: You can also use a carabiner to hook your helmet to your backpack, and it can allow you to connect fast and easily.
- Bungee cords: Using a bungee cord is another helpful option to tie your helmet to a backpack. You can run the rope through the visor or straps and secure it to the straps of your rucksack.
Are motorcycle backpacks safe?
As long as you use a backpack intended for motorcyclists, they’re entirely safe compared to regular backpacks. Motorcycle backpacks are usually made from durable and reliable materials such as Cordura and Kevlar.
You’ll find straps on the chest and hips to relieve pressure. They also come with generous padding.
But before riding away, double-check any straps, and close all zips to prevent any distraction while on the road.
When should you replace your old motorcycle backpack?
The simple answer is, as long as its internal materials and zippers are in good shape, there’s no need to replace your motorcycle backpack.
To make it long-lasting, ensure that you’re following the manufacturer’s care guide for washing your backpack. Also, avoid heavy loading or overstuffing as these mistakes can shorten the lifespan.
Additionally, if your backpack makes you uncomfortable on the road, you should consider replacing it.
What should I keep in my motorcycle backpack?
When touring or taking a short ride, you never know what may occur, so it’s always a good idea to be well prepared to avoid inconveniences. Also, most motorcyclists carry supplies that may come in handy on the road.
Here are some items that you should always carry:
- Earplugs: This is a handy item that you should always be in your backpack to avoid hearing loss, as riding on a motorcycle means exposing to high levels to sound.
- Tool kit: Carrying a small tool kit can help you replace or repair parts when you’re far from help.
- Flashlight: They’re affordable and don’t take up a lot of space. They are brighter than your phone, and it saves using all your battery if you’re stranded.
- First aid kit: They are essential! Though you might not require it, it’s always best to be well-prepared while out on the road.
Will a motorcycle backpack affect my riding?
Backpacks are convenient as you can easily store your items without stuffing them in your pockets. They will not affect your riding as long as you don’t carry heavy objects.
Do you need a motorcycle backpack at all?
It’s a personal choice. If you’re someone who commutes to the office or school daily, you might require it to store your personal belongings. Or if you’re touring long distances, it becomes essential.
Moreover, it’s light, comfortable, easy to carry, and waterproof. The adjustable shoulder straps and sizeable folding pocket make it versatile in storing your shoes and clothes versatile.
What we like
The storage makes it suitable for everyday use, be it for travelling, school, gym or office.
Its waterproof material makes it ideal for use in varying weather conditions keeping your belongings safe.
You can use the adjustable shoulder straps for a snug fit.
What we like
It has air-mesh foam at the back for more breathability.
With its compatible hydration system, you can drink water hands-free.
Moreover, you could also use this for outdoor activities like hiking, camping, fishing, etc.
What we like
This backpack comes equipped with multiple pockets and compartments for storage.
You can easily fold this backpack and put it in a zipped inner pocket.
What we like
You can use this backpack for several purposes like travel, vacation, camping etc.
You can easily fold the bag into the front zip pocket.
By now, you might already have an idea of the features of a motorcycle rucksack and why they make essential riding gear. They also come with a lot of storage space, making it easier to store your essentials.
Consequently, if you’re looking for one for touring or daily use, our top pick, Berghaus twenty4seven 30 litres, is an excellent option with its many features and generous space, which means you can keep everything organised.